- Apr 24 – 5th Grade Parent Night in the GMS Auditorium beginning at 6:30 pm. All are invited to attend.
- Apr 25 – Faculty Meeting in the GMS Library beginning at 2:30 pm. Since many of the Curriculum Committees have met recently, I think we should break out into our Content Area Groups for this meeting. We will begin with a whole group gathering in the Library for a few short minutes and then we’ll break out into content areas.
- Math people will be meeting in Diane Knott’s room
- Science People will meet in Angela Gospoderek’s room
- ELA people in Lona’s room
- Social Studies people in Rick Rand’s room
- VPA will meet in Vickie’s room
- World Languages will meet in Kelly Winslow’s room
- Health and PE will meet in Martha LaViolet’s room
- Special Educators will join ELA People
- Apr 25 – Jazz Night in Gorham beginning at 6:00 pm in the GMS Auditorium. Join our students and students from the High School for an evening on enchantment and great jazz.
- Apr 26 – PIE Meeting in the GMS Library beginning at 6:30 pm. All are welcome to attend.
- Apr 26 – All Gorham Chorus Night at the GHS Auditorium beginning at 7:00 pm. An evening of song from all of the chorus groups from each school in the district.
- Apr 26 – The Sebago Team presents and Evening at the Ancient Museum beginning at 6:00 pm at GMS.
- Apr 27 – GMS Night at the Sea Dogs. Our Chorus will be singing the National Anthem and the ‘Dogs will be honoring several of our teachers on the field prior to the game and one lucky teacher will throw out the first pitch. Tickets are $5.00 and you can order them through Kristen, usually these ticket are $6.00, so we are getting a bargain!
- Apr 30 – We have a Sea Dog’s player scheduled to visit us on Monday, he should arrive around 10:00 am. If you’d like to have him visit your classroom, please let me know.
Other Stuff (but important stuff none the less!)
Visitor from Brazil
We are very fortunate to have a visitor from Brazil this week spending time in many classes and at several activities. Cris Stevenson is a Brazilian National, teaching at a very prestigious independent school. She is married to an American who also teaches at the school. She has recently completed her Masters Degree at Framingham State University and is very interested in observing an American public school. She is a former student of Superintendent Sharp. I know you all join me in welcoming Cris to our school.
GMS Night at the Sea Dogs
Don’t forget to get to your tickets for the big GMS Night at the Sea Dogs. Sure, the ‘Dogs are matching their parent club with wins and losses, but, believe me (I have been to a couple of games this season) they are playing fun baseball. The evening will feature our Chorus singing the National Anthem and several of our Teachers and Ed Techs will be honored and Jason Lambert will toss out the first pitch. It should be a great night for all.
District-Wide Team Leaders Meeting
The Leadership Teams of all schools in the district will be meeting at the Middle School on May 7th beginning at 3:15 pm until 4:45. Please make arrangements to attend. The agenda will be forth coming from Becky Fortier.
Beginning April 30th and running for the next three weeks, we will be administering the annual NWEA testing. We plan to only do one grade level per week to minimize conflict with the students getting on line. This will require all of us to really have some patience with students and the technology. Please report any problems with the system to Terri Dawson immediately upon experiencing them.
5th Grade Parent Night
We will be holding our annual evening for the parents of incoming 6th grade students on Tuesday night. This is an evening where we give some advice to our new middle school parents. They get an idea of what to expect when their child comes to the middle school. All are welcome to attend, it begins at 6:30 pm in the GMS Auditorium.
Interesting Video from Ted Ed
I came across this video from Adam Savage, you know, the guy from the TV show Myth Busters. He talks about how the brain works in the field of science and how some very complex ideas were solved with simple brain power. What struck me, however, is is passion for his work. He is speaking to a group of students. Click here for the link to the video.
8th Grade Celebration of Middle School
We will hold our evening for the 8th graders on June 12th as planned. However, we will have the “parent” portion of the evening at the High School while holding the “student” portion (the dance) at the Middle School. We are still working out the details and we’ll keep you updated as we finalize them.
We still are expecting that students will all work on a speech, or speeches, to be delivered at the “parent” potion of the evening as well as the Secretary of State’s Student award, as well as other student activities that we have had at past Celebrations.
8th Grade Celebration Pizza Fund Raiser
Most students have already turned in their order forms, but 8th grade teachers please remind your students to bring in any orders they still have. All orders need to be turned in by Friday April 27th and delivery will occur on May 16th at the Middle School.
Just a reminder to check the activities calendar on First Class to make sure that dates are open for any of your planned activities. Also, you want to make sure that any event that you have planned is on that calendar. If your event has not made the calendar, please call Kristen or Laurie.