- Apr 11 – Faculty meeting beginning at 2:30 until 4:00 pm.
Agenda for Faculty Meeting
April 11, 2012 Celebrations and Accolades - All Technology Time - Terri NWEA Set-up and information - Melanie Learning Teams - Bob & Susie Other Items - All
- Apr 12 – Early Release Day activities for the students will be Health and Wellness. We have a group of students from the Dover, New Hampshire schools to help us discuss substance abuse with our students. Additionally, Denis Albert, Kathy Pizzo and Heather Kilborn have planned activities that the students signed up for last week.
- Apr 12 – Teacher portion of our day will focus on Learning and the Brain, the impact of what we currently know about the teenage brain and what does it mean for their learning and our teaching. Please plan for lunch on your own and we’ll begin at 12:15 until 2:30.
- Apr 13 – The entirety of this day will focus on the affective realm of our student. Advisory programs, EICAL offerings, etc. will be among items up for consideration. A more defined agenda of the day will be forthcoming.
- Apr 14 – 22 – School Vacation!
- Apr 24 – 5th Grade Parent Night in the GMS Auditorium beginning at 6:30 pm. All are invited to attend.
- Apr 25 – Faculty Meeting in the GMS Library beginning at 2:30 pm. Since many of the Curriculum Committees have met recently, I think we should break out into our Content Area Groups for this meeting. We will need to consider how we cover those folks who teach multiple Content Areas.
- Apr 25 – Jazz Night in Gorham beginning at 6:00 pm in the GMS Auditorium. Join our students and students from the High School for an evening on enchantment and great jazz.
- Apr 26 – PIE Meeting in the GMS Library beginning at 6:30 pm. All are welcome to attend.
- Apr 26 – All Gorham Chorus Night at the GHS Auditorium beginning at 7:00 pm. An evening of song from all of the chorus groups from each school in the district.
- Apr 26 – The Sebago Team presents and Evening at the Ancient Museum beginning at 6:00 pm at GMS.
- Apr 27 – GMS Night at the Sea Dogs. Our Chorus will be singing the National Anthem and the ‘Dogs will be honoring several of our teachers on the field prior to the game and one lucky teacher will throw out the first pitch. Tickets are $5.00 and you can order them through Kristen, usually these ticket are $6.00, so we are getting a bargain!
8th Grade Teachers Only Take Note (6th grade need to note the lunch change)
We have received a schedule from Chris Record, Principal at the High School for the June 5th Step-up Day. We expect that the buses will be here to pick students up at 9:00 am. You will return to the Middle School at 11:05, so we will need to make an adjustment in our lunch schedule with 6th Graders eating at first lunch an 8th grader eating third lunch. We’ll get a hard copy of the schedule out to all 8th grade teachers and advisers.
A Visitor from Brazil
We are, once again, very fortunate to have Chris Stevenson, a teacher from an Independent School in Brazil, coming to visit our school. Chris is an Science and Social Studies teacher at the middle school. She will be visiting several classrooms during her visit with us. She will also be visiting our elementary schools and the high school. I am sure you will welcome her as you have our many other visitors. She will be at the middle school from April 23rd until April 27th.
Homework Club and Library Hours
As we informed everyone at the last faculty meeting, we are curtailing the hours of the Homework Club and the Library to 2 days per week. We have found that at this time of year the kids are involved in lots of after school activities and the attendance was dwindling.
We do need to have a much larger conversation about how we use these resources in the future. Our plans are to continue to fund these positions for next year, but we must make sure that we are getting the expected results with students in getting homework done successfully.
Code Blue Teams
Thank you to all of you who have offered your services to this program. I will be sitting down with Teresa after the vacation to work on how these teams will function. As we do with many of these types of program shifts, we will bring a plan to a faculty meeting for your input and advice.
8th Grade Celebration
We are still working on developing a plan for this night. We had a meeting with parents about the problem and listened to their suggestions for possible solutions. I must say, they were very creative and thoughtful suggestions and they really tried to consider all perspectives of this problem. We will have a final decision made by Tuesday after vacation and we’ll communicate that to all. In the meantime, if you have any suggestions, please send them to Susie or me.
And Down the Stretch They Come
In keeping with Kentucky Derby (which is run on the 1st Saturday in May), we are heading toward the end of school. Someone (not me, ‘cuz I’m not counting the days) told me that there were 6 weeks of school left after the break (actually, it’s 6 and a half weeks). We will need to keep in mind that we have lots of teams heading out on field trips and other activities that could impact other folks like Special Ed Teachers, Allied Arts Teachers and the Learning Labs. I am asking all of us to regularly check our calendar on First Class. If you do not see your activity on there, please let us know. Also, even though you have been diligent enough to get your trip on the calendar, please send out notices to the other teachers to let them know.